Los Angeles ‘Marches for Our Lives’

Angelenos marched in solidarity in what will be a historic movement in modern U.S. history.

Kristin Seawright (middle) participates in the ‘March for Our Lives’ protest, as thousands gather in front of downtown’s city hall. Los Angeles, California. March 24, 2018. Photo by Pablo Unzueta

On March 24, 2018, an estimated 1.2 million people protested against gun violence and pushed forth for gun control. While numerous shootings happened this year, the catalyst for this march was a shooting that occurred at Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida when 17 people were killed by a former student who was armed with an AR-15 style rifle.

This historic march was organized by student leaders, many of them survivors of the Parkland, Florida shooting. They gathered in Washington, D.C. as over 800 events across the United States happened that same day. Protesters marched in solidarity with the Parkland students, and urged for thorough background checks on all gun sales, raising the federal age of gun ownership to 21 and limiting the sales of high-capacity magazines.

In Los Angeles, the rally began at 9 a.m. with thousands of people participating in the march that started in Pershing Square and went all the way down to city hall.

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti told the crowd, “This will be written in the history books that many of your children will read.”

Natalie Cvitanic (right) embraces her sister, Olivia Cvitanic (left) outside of downtown’s city hall during the ‘March for Our Lives’ protest. Los Angeles, California. March 24, 2018. Photo by Pablo Unzueta

Children hold hand-drawn portraits of the victims of the mass shooting in Parkland, Florida, that left 17 people dead on Feb. 14, 2018. Los Angeles, California. March 24, 2018. Photo by Pablo Unzueta

Los Angeles, California. March 24, 2018. Photo by Pablo Unzueta

March 24, 2018. Los Angeles, California. Photo by Pablo Unzueta

March 28, 2018. Photo by Pablo Unzueta
Although there was not an official estimate on how many people marched in downtown Los Angeles, California, Los Angeles Mayor, Eric Garcetti tweeted that there were over 55,000 participants. 

Children hold signs as they spectate the thousands of people marching in downtown Los Angeles, California. March 28, 2018. Photo by Pablo Unzueta

March 24, 2018. Photo by Pablo Unzueta
Latino street vendors took advantage of the probability of selling their produce with thousands of people gathering in downtown Los Angeles, California for the ‘March for Our Lives’ protest. 

Photo by Pablo Unzueta
Small groups of students who were scattered throughout the march, protested with their fists up as they navigated through the large crowds. March 24, 2018. Los Angeles, California. 

Photo by Pablo Unzueta
LAPD officers had to stand in between people who were in support of the United States President Donald Trump, and people who were in support for gun control. March 24, 2018. Los Angeles, California.

Photo by Pablo Unzueta
Signs. March 24, 2018. Los Angeles, California.

Photographs by Pablo Unzueta for Substance. You can follow his work on Instagram or by going to his website.